Gone are the days when movies were made with the help of heroes. The name of the hero was the identity of the film. But now the era has changed. The real hero of the movie is the content. And the director who made the film based on this is now the real superstar. The fact that the films are doing so well would not have been possible without the intelligence and skill of the director.
Some directors of Southern cinema in particular have set new standards through their films. Films directed by them have become their identity. Take the word ‘Bahubali’. Despite the praise of its lead actor Prabhas, its real identity is its director SS Rajamouli. It doesn’t matter if the protagonist of his film is Prabhas or Ram Charan or Jr. NTR.
The glory of his film comes from his thoughts. His imagination has made Pan India films today. Otherwise, the film industry was divided on the basis of language before. People will remember the movies before and after 2015 differently. After the release of Bahubali film in 2015, the golden age of cinema has really started.
Since then, one after another pictures have been released which have taken people by surprise. Those in the Hindi region who were annoyed with Bollywood movies realized that movies could be like this. Which not only entertains, but also nurtures their feelings and thoughts. Credit goes to all those directors in the South who have changed both the status and direction of cinema through their Pan India films. Among them, names like Prashant Neel, Sukumar and SS Rajamouli are notable.
1) To SS Rajamouli: SS Rajamouli, one of the best directors of Southern cinema, can be called the most successful director at the Pan India level. Although he directed many superhit films in the South, he became famous all over the country because of ‘Bahubali’. The whole country loved this film. His film ‘Bahubali 2’ is still the highest grossing film at the Indian box office.
The film grossed Rs 1,600 crore. His recently released film ‘RRR’ has put his victory chariot far ahead. Released on March 25, the film has so far grossed over Rs 1,000 crore. However, the film was made at a cost of Rs 500 crore. The way he presents Indian culture and glorious history through his films is deeply ingrained in the hearts of the audience.
Rajamouli belongs to the film family. Very few people know that Rajamouli’s full name is Koduri Srisaila Sri Rajamouli. Who is his father? V Vijayendra Prasad was a famous screenwriter and film director. He wrote the story of Bahubali. Her cousin MS Kiravani is a music composer and playback singer.
2) Pacific Blue: Kannada film director Prashant Neel became famous all over the country through his film ‘KGF’. Just as his two films ‘KGF Chapter 1’ and ‘KGF Chapter 2’ have caused a stir at the Pan India level, he has become a popular director across the country. Prashant made his directorial debut in 2014 with the film ‘Ugram’.
He has directed three films so far. On the other hand, his Salar movie is going to be released next year, with famous actor Prabhas in the lead role. He has done only three pictures in his career but he is being compared to SS Rajamouli for his perfection and storytelling style. Although Prashant does not consider himself capable of this.
He says he has yet to prove himself in the field of management. He wants to do something unique. But whatever he says, in all three films he has proved that he is a long race horse. All three of his films have been blockbusters.
3) Sukumar: Bollywood was wailing during Corona. An excuse was being made to leave the hall empty after the Hindi film was shot. At that time, Hollywood movie Spider-Man was released. Shortly after that, director Sukumar took his box office by storm with the release of his film ‘Pushpa’: The Rise. The level at which Sukumar is today does not need to be identified separately.
The film ‘Pushpa’ made him popular all over the country. The film has grossed around Rs 350 crore. Where the film cost only 160 crore. Not only that, the Hindi version of it shocked Bollywood and earned Rs 108 crore. Asked about the success of a Pan India film, Sukumar said, “Hindi movies, Tamil movies, Telugu movies are all things of the past.
Now is the time for Indian cinema. If the movie is good, the story is liked by the audience and the production is international, then people of every language in the country are ready to watch movies in every language. Cinema is breaking the boundaries of language. The audience has got a taste of good movies. The stars will continue to shine in their place. But for the film to be successful in India, it has to be holistic. Given the opportunity, I would definitely like to direct a Hindi film one day.
4) AR Murugadas: Known for his work in the Tamil film industry, director A.R. Murugadoss is famous for making pictures with big superstars. He directed the film Sarkar with Darbar and Vijay with superstar Rajinikanth. Both the films were superhits at the Tamil box office.
Very few people know that he also did a Hindi film which was much in vogue after its release. The name of this picture was Ghajini. In which Aamir Khan and Asin played the lead roles. Released in 2006, the film grossed Rs 194 crore worldwide at that time. Aamir Khan’s look was quite admired.
Apart from Aamir and Zia Khan, most of the actors in the film were from the South. It was his first Bollywood film to reach the 100 crore club. Murugadoss is primarily known for directing action films on social issues. In 2014, he won the Filmfare Best Director Award for his Tamil action drama Kathi.
Murugadoss started his career as an assistant director in the film industry with the film Ratchagan (1997). His first film as a director was ‘Dhina’ (2001) starring Ajith.
5) Moni Ratnam: Who doesn’t know film director Mani Ratnam from south to north. Mani Ratnam is known for making class films. In 1973, his first Tamil film Pallavi was directed by Anu Pallavi. The film stars Anil Kapoor and Lakshmi in the lead roles. He became famous for his Tamil film ‘Mauna Ragam’ released in 1975.
Rebati and Mohan were in the lead roles in this film. He also won a national award for the film. He directed the film ‘Dil Se’ for the first time in Hindi. Which was quite liked by the audience. Then in 1992, the film ‘Roza’ was directed by Mani Ratnam. AR Rahman made his playback debut in this film.
Mani Ratnam is currently directing the PS-1 film. Where beautiful Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan can be seen. Produced by Leica Productions and Madras Talkies, this mega-budget film has two parts. The first part PS-1 will be released in theaters soon. The film, based on Kalki’s classic Tamil novel Ponyin Selvan, is set to release in Pan India.